The day I saw a 3-D printer in action I knew I had found the answer to "How do I design a contemporary candle?" Disappointed in the standard candle moulds which have been in use for decades, I wanted to create candles with a modern aesthetic and an architectural feel. My process:
- Design the candle using 3-D vector software
- Send the file to a Makerbot Replicator to 3-D print my prototype
- Use the prototype to cast my own moulds
- Hand pour, in small batches, my own 100% pure beeswax candles
- Use locally sourced beeswax and 100% cotton wicks
Three rules of candle fire safety: 1) Burn within sight. 2) Avoid drafts and combustibles. 3) Keep away from children.
Wick tip: keep the wick trimmed to 1/4" or 6 mm will ensure a clean, efficient flame.